Here’s a short list of books I plan on reading over the summer, though I’ve kept a few and have yet to find the last one.
Since last summer: Lisa See’s
- Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
- China Dolls
- Peony in Love
- Shanghai Girls
- Dreams of Joy [I’ve been feeling a little down so I’m checking this one out first. This is the first book from this author I will be reading, so it will determine whether I complete this list or not for this author.]
- After Abolition: Britain and the Slave Trade Since 1807, Marika Sherwood
- 1984, George Orwell
- Twenty Letters to a Friend, Svetlana [Stalin] Alliluyeva
- Only One Year, Svetlana [Stalin] Alliluyeva
*I read an article from The New Yorker about a guy who contacted and then kept in contact with Joseph Stalin’s daughter, Svetlana, when she came to the U.S. for his book. According to him and his correspondence with Svetlana, she’s brilliant bordering on crazy. The article’s title is something regarding his friendship with her.
The last few books are from my mentor teacher talking to her class about her not watching any movies on Charles Dickens’ books because the movies don’t do the books justice. Thought I’d read a few for myself.
- Tale of Two Cities
- Oliver Twist
- Great Expectations
I still never got around to reading Jane Eyre, and Pride and Prejudice, and a whole bunch of other books, but I’m hopeful I can get through my list in about 5 years.
Only 14 books 🙂
My voyage starts when I get the first book. I’ll also update this post when I finish the book with a book review.